Keeping fit is already a daily struggle for many, but maintaining your weight and exercise routine while on vacation is close to impossible. At least it is for me, who really just sticks to the basics when it comes to fitness. In fact, I really enjoy my food, and my destinations are oftentimes planned with regard to the exciting meals I get to have. So if there is one thing that is a certainty when I go on a trip – it’s that there will be weight gain. Actually, I don’t mind putting on a few extra pounds – I am more concerned about not going over the edge that it becomes too difficult to slim down to size after the vacation is over. The key is not to hit the point of no return, which is what this post might help you with. I will give you my personal tips on how to manage the weight gain.
I can promise you this, when on vacation I do not hold back from anything – If I am hungry and I want something, I’ll have it. Many days I have 2-3 desserts, an abundance of carbs, and everything in between. That being said, I do diet beforehand, which brings me to my first tip:
- CUT DOWN WHAT YOU PUT IN, INCREASE WHAT YOU PUT OUT
– For the 2-3 weeks leading up to a trip I remove 3 things from my diet: ALCOHOL; ANY SUGARY BEVERAGE; DESSERT. This slims you down almost immediately. Asides from this, I stick to my Intermittent Fasting. A strict combination of both tactics along with increasing your exercise (I go from 35 minutes 3 days a week to 45 minutes 5 days a week) will ensure weight loss, allowing you to put on a few guiltlessly when the time comes.
- PLANE FOOD OPTIONAL
– I try to fast when I am on the plane. If you are going on a long haul flight, there are 2 meals – pick one you would prefer to eat. This works well especially for evening flights. If you take off at passed 9pm, that is well passed the time you have dinner regularly so best to skip that meal and eat the breakfast meal.
Now that you’ve made it to your vacation, I have a few more tips to share for maximum enjoyment with minimal effort:
- FOLLOW THE HUNGER
– If there is one thing that I try to do regardless of where I am in the world, it is to ONLY EAT WHEN I AM HUNGRY. I will never force myself to have a meal. If you are worried about being social, it is ok to sit in the table and have a drink, or order something small. Just remember it is your body, and you should always do what feels right.
- WALK, WALK, WALK
– If there is an option to walk rather than ride somewhere, take it. Many times, my body doesn’t even look for a work out because I am getting 14,000 – 20,000 steps a day, rather than my regular 6,000 – 8,000.
- EAT YOUR VEGETABLES
– My last tip is simple – eat whatever you want. Enjoy to your heart’s content. But NEVER forget to include vegetables to every meal. This is the most delicious way to aid in proper digestion. It’s really easy – add spinach to your morning omelette, or artichoke to your pizza. Having a steak? Get the fries AND a salad.