Salads are a staple to our family table. We are quite big on vegetables at home. What I love about this particular recipe is that it is high on protein (from the lentils), and has a good amount of healthy carbs (from the adlai). Though it makes a great side dish, this can also be an easy main that packs well for school lunches the next day. It is light, yet quite hearty and will fill you up. This salad can be enjoyed cold during the summer, and warm when it is raining outside!
1 cup dry lentils, washed
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 bay leaf
1 shallot, sliced
2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
½ cup squash, chopped
½ cup sweet potato, chopped
2 tablespoons CONTADINA olive oil
1 can CONTADINA diced tomatoes, strained
½ cup adlai, cooked
1 bunch romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
1 bunch baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons CONTADINA Extra Virgin olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper
- Boil water and ass lentils, garlic clove and bay leaf. Leave to cook at medium heat.
- Once cooked, strain lentils. Set aside.
- Marinate shallot in balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Place squash and sweet potatoes in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash and sweet potato at 300c until cooked but still firm (around 15-20 minutes). Once done, cool completely.
- Once lentils, adlai, and vegetables are cooked and cooled, combine in a salad bowl with spinach, lettuce, and diced tomato
- Put shallots and all the vinegar in, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss until properly dressed.
- You may chill before serving.
- If you would like to serve this warm, just skip the cooling process.