When the kids are home for the holiday, keep them entertained with these fun activities!
I love Holy Week. For me, it is a time to be grateful. It presents moments that allows you to forget work, social commitments, and the hustle and bustle of everyday… It is a time to revel in the quiet.
But it can be a bit difficult to enjoy this silence when you have bored children running about, looking for things to do. So my solution is to have ready activities to keep them busy. Some may require a minimal amount of your time, but it will keep them occupied for hours after, giving you a few moments of peace.
Here are some fun Easter inspired activities:
- Egg painting
- Boil 2 dozen eggs, get some poster paints, brushes, glitter and even stickers and a bunch of newspaper and set the kids up outside. A child of any age would enjoy this – from my 12 year old to my 1 year old. I think even teenagers would have fun exploring their creativity.
2. Baking and Snacks
- Whether it is to imaginatively decorate a cake, bake a simple batch of cookies, or make fun snacks – preparing cool things in the kitchen is a great way to keep the kids busy.
3. Counting, separating, and distinguishing eggs
- This may seem like a very preschool classroom activity, but my young ones love to count the eggs and separate them by color and size. This also helps them develop simple math skills.
4. Filling eggs with candy
- It’s always fun to crack open a colorful plastic egg and fill it with some candy. Make sure there is a grown up though so that they cant sneak too many into their mouths!
5. Hiding eggs
- This may be more appreciated by older kids. I find that it is especially fun for children who are on the cusp of wanting to be a part of the egg hunting, yet a little too old to still search for eggs. Having them hide it gives them a fun sense of responsibility as well as creativity.