An easy dish like this is the perfect ‘go-to’ for moms on the run, a quick dinner, a simple potluck, or a freeze-ahead meal. I love it because the sauce is packed with vegetables. In fact, you can add whatever vegetable you have in the fridge. I have used zucchini, eggplant, spinach, and even plant based meat substitutes. For pickier eaters, you may grate the vegetables instead of chopping or mincing. Asides from a healthy weekday meal, leftovers make for the perfect guilt-free mommy snack throughout the day.
1 package CONTADINA pene pasta
3-4 tablespoons CONTADINA olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 white onion, chopped
1 large carrot, minced
1 package fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 bottle CONTADINA Aglio Arrostito pasta sauce
½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1,2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook pene until al dente, strain (saving half a cup of pasta water), drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, white onion, carrot, and mushrooms. Let simmer over medium heat.
- Once vegetables are softened, add CONTADINA Aglio Arrostito pasta sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and let continue to simmer over low heat.
- Once sauce has reduced, add cooked pasta and pasta water and combine well.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with a mix of your grated cheeses. Bake until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Serve hot. This dish is best paired with garlic bread.